Wednesday 24 December 2014

Nollaig Shona

It's midday on Christmas eve and I'm just home from a funeral. My sister-in-law's mom was buried today. They are from a village about 20 miles from the city, a real homely funeral, and the sun was shining down on us all.

I don't like Christmas, it brings on the melancholy and I can be doing without that, thank you very much. But, we have the yank staying this year and it's all 'y'all this and y'all that' and Texas country music blaring about the house. (I think of you Sav every time I hear 'y'all'!);-)
If I may quote the lovely Dolly Parton, 'I hope life treats you kind, and I hope you have all you dream of, and I wish you joy and happiness, but above all this I wish you love.'
Life is short my friends, as you all surely know, so love each day, each minute, each second, and tell those folk how much you love them, smile at passing strangers and hug anyone who is willing. Sing, even if you think you can't, because it will bring you endless joy, it will lift your heart, and it will always make at least one other person smile.
To my dear, dear friend Jimmy, you will never know how fortunate and blessed I am that you came into my life exactly when I needed you. I don't believe in God, but something sent you to me. I know you don't like hearing this 'pish talk', but I love you dearly you big yin, I wish you and Siobhan and your merry clan health and happiness. You are my brother and saviour.
I'll be off now to visit the Ma, and I'll share a drink of something special in 'yalls' honour with her.
Nollaig Shona mo chara go léir.

4 comments:

  1. There is no finer word than "y'all" because it's spoken with love and affection. :)

    Merry Christmas to your wonderful family! Please give Ma a hug for me (but for heaven's sake don't call her Ma if it's going to get us in trouble!)

    And I miss the big man too...I'm sending a big invisible hug his way as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God rest ye, merry gentleman. A good holiday to you and your family. And to Jimmy B, wherever he may be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing "all y'all" a very Merry Christmas, my dear Irish crooner. May your world be gentle and peaceful, and all your darling ladies happy and smiling. Please pass along a warm hug to that big pal of yours (and ours) as well, and if you see him in person, give him a big old Canadian bear hug from this Viking. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. xoxoxoxox, bubba! much love to all y'all and all the best for 2015! ;)

    ReplyDelete